Li Ding, Mohammad H. Bawany, Ajay E. Kuriyan, Rajeev S. Ramchandran, Charles C. Wykoff, and Gaurav Sharma, “A Novel Deep Learning Pipeline for Retinal Vessel Detection In Fluorescein Angiography”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 6561–6573, 2020
While recent advances in deep learning have significantly advanced the state of the art for vessel detection in color fundus (CF) images, the success for detecting vessels in fluorescein angiography (FA) has been stymied due to the lack of labeled ground truth datasets. We propose a novel pipeline to detect retinal vessels in FA images using deep neural networks (DNNs) that reduce the effort required for generating labeled ground truth data by combining two key components: cross-modality transfer and human-in-the-loop learning.
- We propose a novel pipeline for generating ground truth data for retinal vessel segmentation in FA that significantly reduces the annotation efforts.
- We construct a new ground truth dataset, RECOVERY-FA19, for the development and evaluation of retinal vessel segmentation algorithms in FA.
- We develop and evaluate the first set of deep neural networks for retinal vessel segmentation in both ultra-widefield FA and narrow-field fundus FA images. [GitHub] [Code Ocean capsule]
- RECOVERY-FA19: Ultra-Widefield Fluorescein Angiography Vessel Detection Dataset
- RECOVERY_FA19 dataset contains 8 high-resolution (3900×3072 pixels) UWF FA images and corresponding labeled binary vessel maps.
- UWF FA images are acquired using Optos California and 200Tx cameras (Optos plc, Dunfermline, United Kingdom). Ground truth binary vessel maps are annotated using the proposed pipeline.
- You can download the dataset from IEEE DataPort. This is an open-access dataset available to all IEEE users (IEEE Accounts are FREE).
- Sample Results
- Quantitative results on RECOVERY-FA19 dataset
- Visual results on RECOVERY-FA19 dataset
A Novel Deep Learning Pipeline for Retinal Vessel Detection In Fluorescein Angiography Journal Article
In: IEEE Trans. Image Proc., vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 6561–6573, 2020.
(Code Ocean Capsule): Deep Vessel Segmentation for Fluorescein Angiography and Evaluation Miscellaneous
RECOVERY-FA19: Ultra-Widefield Fluorescein Angiography Vessel Detection DataSet Miscellaneous
IEEE Dataport, 2019.